Some years ago I faced a personal crisis. In the spring of that year 3 cranes came everyday to the field beside my house. From the first sighting I felt an emotional calm that had been absent in the previous months. It is as if these birds were the vital sign that after a winter of emotional pain my life would soon be right again. I watched for them each day and they always returned bringing a certainty of hope and the courage to start over.
Nature heals. Cranes are a symbol of hope and healing and are often the subject of my artwork. Through my artistic expression healing emotion reaches out to you. It is my hope these collages invite you to sense the tranquility and mystery nature brings as it heals.
Natural beauty inspires me. Whether it be hiking Lake Louise in Canada, viewing ancient petroglyphs in the West, driving the lush lanes of Ireland or biking Wisconsin trails I find a deep connection to the landscape. Traveling confirms how the natural world enriches us and that is what I convey in my collages.
Spending 29 years teaching was an outlet for my creativity and imagination. I thrived on the daily interaction with children and adults. When I retired I decided to explore an inner artistic life. After a year of watercolor classes I learned a technique for creating my own paper for collage. It opened a new world of experimentation. I developed a style of unique, one of a kind collages with distinctive backgrounds. Using my imagination and creativity in this way has been invigorating and fulfilling. Retirement has been busy, growing experience. You can view a video about the collageprocess by clicking the link on the "Learn More " page of this website.
You can contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org and follow GailMcCoyArt on Facebook. My husband and I split our year between Sun Prairie,WI and Naples, FL. You are welcome to stop by my studio in WI or our home in Naples to view art by appointment.
A Select Sampling of Exhibitions
- Represented at Plum Bottom Pottery, Egg Harbor,Door Co., WI
- 2021 Solo exhibition Portage Center for the Arts
- 2019 Award of Excellence, Boca Raton, FL
- 2019 Award of Excellence, Fort Meyers, FL
- 2017 Solo Exhibition, Alexander House Museum, Port Edwards, WI
- 2016-2017 Solo Exhibition, 800 Gallery, Madison,WI
- 2017 Award of Excellence, Highland Park and Glencoe, Ill and WI Regional Artists State Show,Madison,WI
- 2016 Award of Excellence, Green Lake Art Show, and Milwaukee 3rd Ward Art Show
- 2015 1st Place, Sturgeon Bay Art Show,Door Co., WI
- 2013,2014 WI Museum of Art, West Bend, WI
- 2014 Artful Affair,Best of Show, Madison,WI
- 2012 Citrisolv National Spring Contest, Runner up
- 2012 Wisconsin Biennial, Charles Allis Museum Milwaukee,WI
- 2011 Agora Art Show, Award of Excellence
- Wisconsin Regional Artists State Show,Madison, WI...
- Chinese Fine Art Assoc. Award 2017
- Bonnie Johnson Award 2012
- State Award 2011,2012,2014,2015,2016,2017
- Honorable Mention 2010,2013
- 2013 Cover art for show catalog
- Invited to hang art at UW Madison,School of Agriculture, 2013-2014,2017-2018
- 2010,2013 Honorable Mention, Artful Women, Madison,WI
- 2018 Inspire Magazine, August issue
- 2016,2018 Peninsula Pulse, Door County,WI including covers June issues
- 2011-2015 Published 8 pieces in 8 volumes of Agora Magazine including cover
- 2010 The Art of Eclectic Cooking cookbook
- 2012 Featured artist on Artpromotive
- 2012 Featured artist on smARTist
- 2013 WRAP State Show Catalog cover
- 2016 Featured artist, Unity Magazine, June issue
- 2017 Pedestrian Safety Boxes, Madison,WI
- UW Hospitals and Clinics, American Center Hospital,Madison,WI
- The Spa, Sun Prairie,WI
- Lazy Jane's Restaurant, Madison,WI
- Marathon County Public Library, Wausau, WI
- 700 UBD Building,Madison, WI
- Epic Systems, Verona,WI
- Numerous international private collectors
- Wisconsin Regional Artists, Former board member
- Madison Art Guild
- Wisconsin Visual Artists
- Wi Alliance of Artists and Craftpeople